50 Simple Gifts To Give Yourself
Simple Things, Little Things...
1) Gather up all of the Thank You cards you have received over time and read them again. To make this easier create a file or folder to hold these sweet treats. Devour them with chocolate--warm tea and feel your spirits lifted.
2) A new scent. Smelling different scents everyday can help with brain function. Buy a few essential oils and randomly smell one every morning. Scents like lavender, orange and peppermint can even boost your mood.
3) Use any left over time at lunch to take a brisk walk around the block or parking lot. Be a birdwatcher for 5 minutes or practice deep breathing.
4) Write a letter--they say it's the gift you give yourself (they might write you back!).
5) Bring a cut flower to work and place it in a bud vase. Smell it ever so often throughout the day or after having a brush with a not-so-nice boss.
6) Bring cut flowers into the bedroom or the bath and replace them every other day. A recent study by members of the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery found that people who slept with the scent of rose had better dreams.
7) A bath filled with bubbles. Never underestimate the power of Thalassotherapy to put the day into perspective. Add candles, bath salts, rose petals, anything to create something out of the norm. Scented shampoo or body gels can substitute for bubble bath when in a pinch or digs that are not your own.
8) Download a book of poetry to your mp3 player and listen to snippets of sonnets throughout the day.
9) A wish board.
10) A journal to keep track of everything you're thankful for.
11) Find music you wouldn't normally listen to and play it all day, then pass it on (many libraries have large collections of music your can barrow, try World Beats).
12) Give a kiss and have one for yourself.
13) Give a hug and have one for yourself.
"'Tis the gift to be simple"
14) Steal away a moment to see and feel natural sunlight (wear sunblock!)--look out a window, take a walk, let the sunlight boost your mood and help keep depression away.
15) Take a 24 hour break away from commercial media. Borrow DVD's from the library and watch them all marathon style.
16) Hide money in your pockets before you put your seasonal clothing away and get a surprise in a few months.
17) Go minimalist in a room or two and give away, donate or sell items that are causing clutter in your space or life. Shoot for a 90% purge and make it a point to keep it that way for "X" amount of months.
18) Think about all the things that make you laugh and set out to recapture those moments throughout the day.
19) A piece of dark chocolate allowed to melt slowly on your tongue.
20) Drink incredibly aromatic teas such as honeysuckle, orange or jasmine.
21) Go vegan or raw for the day (do some planning ahead of time so you're properly nourished for the day).
22) Acquire a new acquired taste. Revel in your uniqueness.
23) Find a pond filled with koi or goldfish and watch it instead of TV.
24) Ride your bicycle ever further distances.
25) Adopt something.
26) Make it a point to smile throughout the day and at people (small children, cute pets, etc.). Turn off that voice in your head that questions why you're smiling. Allowing yourself to feel joy for no apparent reason can be a life altering realisation.
27) Create a gossip free day (that includes Hollywood starlets!).
28) Plant a few moonflower or sunflower seeds and put it out of your mind. Months later you might be unexpectedly surprised.
29) Plant flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. For a list take a look here.
30) A FEED bag.
31) Get a set of Mini Guatemalan Worry Dolls and hand all of yours over to them.
32) Always be on the lookout for 4 leaf clovers.
33) Go shopping in your closet.
34) Get an umbrella that shouts your arrival from a mile away. [see our past post on the one by Jonathan Adler].
35) Make your home a smoke free one.
36) Join Postcrossing.com. [see our past post on this website]
37) Drink plenty of clean water.
38) Find an aloe vera plant and give it a new home and let it heal you. [ see my post Aloe, Aloe for more on this. ]
39) A massage.
40) Your own private tea blend. [see our own recipe here].
41) Love letters [see our past post here on where to find them or how to write them]
42) Brand new copies of all the books you adored as a child.
43) Hold hands.
44) Smile every time you look into a mirror.
45) Sit next to a street musician for an hour or two.
46) Write down or print out every bit of encouragement others have given you. Put them in a file or folder and read them when your spirits are a bit low and defeat seems just over the horizon.
47) Tell yourself you're a very lucky person everyday. Keep unlucky out of your vocabulary.
48) Practice skin brushing and whistle while you do it.
49) Take lessons! For your voice, to learn an instrument (or relearn something you started as a child), take dance. For very reasonable lessons try your local park system programs or at community college.
50) A day to devote to opening your horizons... rock wall climbing, boating, hiking, something that's outdoors and out of your comfort zone. Again check out your local park system programs or community development programs.
"The gifts of caring, attention, affection, appreciation, and love are some of the most precious gifts you can give, and they don't cost you anything," --Deepak Chopra
I feel like singing, "These are a few of my favorite things" when I think about the above. Do you have a favorite gift that you give yourself!? Is it one of the above already? If so we'd love to know about it... think quick and jot it down in the comments section and can you imagine that I came up with 20 More Gifts To Give Youself? Well I did, click the link to find out my latest jolts of joy you can add to your life.
Image: copyright GaveThat.com.
- 20 More Gifts To Give Yourself
- Simple Gifts To Give Others
- The Gift of Gratitude
- Searching for Nantucket Friendship Baskets
- How Not To Spend The Holiday's Alone